Saturday, September 10, 2011

Obession of the moment:: Hair Bows

They are back.
They are SUPER girly
They are usually abnormally sized
They are....
(dun dun dun...)
HAIRBOWS!!!

I've been sticking stuff in my hair and on headbands for a while now. In fact one friend asked me if I have a great big box of hair accessories. So much to my excitement I saw that lil Miss Snooki (of Jersey Shore) is wearing them now instead of her poof. (Being from NJ, the poof still is VERY much alive in our culture. Varying heights of course, but still..)


I think they are ADORABLE. 

Now I know many of you will think they are garish, immature or ridiculous. But fashion is not one size fits all. and I'm not rocking the bow everyday. 

Do you wear one to the office? likely not, unless you work for Betsy Johnson or something (If you do, hook a girl up! LOVE BETSY)
But are they fun for a party or a day of girl-related fun? (Think mani-pedi shopping, lunch) YES!

AWWW. lol


But Snooki is not some radical visionary sent from the overly tanned shore of Jersey to bring us these accessories. Oh no.

Example number 1
Hello Kitty. She's been rocking a hair accessory, 
usually a bow, cocked crookedly on her left ear for decades now.

Example Number 2
Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck. They have many styles of bows, and they are adorable.


Example number 3




Michelle Tanner and Stephanie from Full House, 1988-1997
I'm the same age as the Olsen Twins so I totally rocked these looks in my younger days.




Proof is in the pictures:





hair bows, they can be used for any occasion. Don't underestimate their true prowess ;o)


Recently even Snooki is not alone in her hairbow usage:

 From the 2009 Presidential Inauguration Aretha Franklin.



Mama Monster herself, Lady Gaga. She made HAIR bow a whole new concept.


Bridget Marquardt of Girls Next Door Fame at a Sanrio/Hello Kitty event (She's a personal favorite of mine!)


So rock the hairbows people. ROCK THEM!


I made this one. I went to Michaels crafts and got ribbon (2 rolls for $5) and made them for my friends. I made one for my friend Megan that had Owl ribbon. My bff Vikki got Blue polka dot (her fav color) and my Mom got pink with zebra and shoes, because she's my fashionista Mama. 

Have fun with it!

Random finds on the interwebbies:

 Not sure who this is, but its from the 60s or 70s for sure.

 Sue Lyon from Lolita

Cute Barbie bow from RubySweets on Etsy


Memories, candy coated Memories...
When I was little, around 5 my Mom mom used to come stay with us while my Pop Pop and Dad went to work together (they left super early in the AM like sleepy time hours and she didn't want to be alone) She would occasionally bring me a present, if I'd been sick or did something good at school or whatever (I'm an only child, and had significant health issues as a wee one) Well I distinctly remember the day she brought me a hair bow. I'd had them before (see pics above including the not pictured baby me when my Mom taped one on my head because I hadn't grown hair yet. lol.) But this one was "Barbie" it was purple and sparkly (I will dig through my stuffs and try and find it.) I just loved it. It was practically the size of my head.
I miss her so dearly (She left us for heaven in 2004), and I wish she was still with us (for MANY reasons) but she would so love that bows are "back" <3

No comments:

Post a Comment